The Eurovision Song Contest will take place in the UK next year, it has been confirmed.
The show’s organisers decided the event could not be held in the winning country, Ukraine, due to the ongoing war following Russia’s invasion.
It’s not yet known which city will host, but cities including Glasgow and Manchester have expressed an interest.
The EBU have said the host venue should accommodate about 10,000 spectators, be within easy reach of an international airport and have enough hotel accommodation for at least 2,000 delegates, journalists and spectators.
Ukraine’s entrant Kalush Orchestra won this year’s contest in May in a symbolic show of public support, while Sam Ryder came second for the UK, the country’s best result since 1998.
Typically, Ukraine’s win would mean it is hosting the competition next year, but the EBU insisted that would not happen due to the conflict.
The announcement last month was met with disappointment by Ukrainian Culture Minister Oleksandr Tkachenko, who issued a statement “demanding to change the decision”. The Ukrainian broadcaster UA: PBC, also expressed disappointment.
But on Monday, Mykola Chernotytskyi, head of the managing board of the broadcaster, said in a statement: “The 2023 Eurovision Song Contest will not be in Ukraine but in support of Ukraine. We are grateful to our BBC partners for showing solidarity with us.
“I am confident that together we will be able to add Ukrainian spirit to this event and once again unite the whole of Europe around our common values of peace, support, celebrating diversity and talent.”