More than 90 videos and images from the next edition of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been leaked online by a hacker, the game’s developers say.
The leaked content was posted on Sunday after what is being described as one of gaming’s biggest security breaches.
Rockstar Games said it remained unclear how the “network intrusion” occurred but confirmed “early development footage” from GTA VI had been stolen.
The footage was put on the GTAForums site by a user called teapotuberhacker.
The hacker claimed to have gained access to the data by breaching Rockstar’s internal feed on the Slack messaging app and invited executives to negotiate to avoid further leaks.
Additional revelations could include source code, assets, and testing builds from GTA 5 and GTA 6, which could damage the company’s operations.
While moderators have since removed the original post, it has been spread widely on social media. Rockstar has reportedly issued takedown orders to release the footage from YouTube and Twitter.
The footage showed animation tests. Level layouts and some gameplay demonstrations confirmed a long-running rumour that the game will feature the series’ first playable female protagonist.
They also revealed the game’s setting in a fictionalised version of Miami, the setting of 2002’s GTA: Vice City.
In a statement on Monday, the company said it was “extremely disappointed to have any details of our next game shared with you all in this way”.
“Our work on the next Grand Theft Auto game will continue as planned, and we remain as committed as ever to delivering an experience to you, our players, that truly exceeds your expectations,” it added.