Australia’s second-largest telecoms firm Optus, owned by Singapore Telecommunications, ran a full-page apology in major newspapers on Saturday for a “devastating” cyberattack 10 days ago and pointed affected customers to a new help site.
“We’re deeply sorry that a cyberattack has happened on our watch,” the company said in the notice.
“We know this is devastating, and we’ll need to work hard to regain your trust,” it said.
Australian police said on Friday they had set up an operation to beef up the protection of over 10,000 Optus customers whose identity credentials had been shared online due to the data breach.
Authorities have declined to comment on their investigation and effort to find the hacker since the telecoms giant on Sept. 22 first reported the theft of the data of up to 10 million accounts, equivalent to 40% of Australia’s population.